As we reach the end of the year, it’s time to collect some of your best work to show off to future students (and to look back on in the future).
Middle School Poetry
The first collection we’ll be making is a collection of poems. You have written several poems by now, and you will write a few more so that you have some strong work to choose from.
- List your favorite words (you may want to consult lyrics, etc. for inspiration).
- Arrange the list in an order that plays with meaning or sound or both.
2) The Poetry of the Kitchen Sink:
- Describe a place that matters to you in incredible detail.
- Get specific. Use your senses.
- Turn that description into a poem. (You might just trim and chop your description by cutting weak words and adding line breaks to make a free verse poem).
3) To Do List:
- Write a list of things that you plan to do in the future. (It can be a list of career goals, things you want to see, things you want to do, life events, etc.).
4) Letter to the Future:
- Use the form of a letter to give your future self some advice. Think about reminders. What’s important? What have you learned? What are you afraid of?
- Now that you’re coming to the end of one chapter in your life, write a list of the things you’re saying goodbye to (and work that into a poem).