Objective: Identify an issue that matters to you and your class — and that is practical to research.
Background: The next big job in the argument unit is to write a strong essay. Today, you will be choosing a juicy topic that matters to you and our class. (You will also want a topic that is practical to research so that you can find a lot of great evidence).
1. Check Your Sources (JF One Post of 5 Short Paragraphs 1000+):
- Search Newsela for our top issues! (Posted on Button Up or see below). For of our top five topics, how many articles are there? How on-topic are the articles?
- For each issue, report briefly on how good a research subject the issue is, justifying your opinion with evidence!
“Check Your Sources” Example Paragraph: The refugee crisis is an excellent research topic, because there are at least 16 articles on the topic including a Pro/Con that gave both sides of the issue.
2. My Choice (JF 2 Part Map + Paragraph 500+):
- Choose a topic that matters to you and will be great for research.
- Map your personal reasons and research reasons for choosing the topic!
- Write a paragraph that identifies your choice and justifies your choice by giving us your personal and research reasons for choosing the topic.
3. R and D Reports (JF Extra Credit — write as many reports as you can!):
Possible R & D Topics:
- Write a paragraph telling us whether students can and should create article “Text Sets” in Newsela.
- Write a paragraph telling us whether we should use Slick Write (www.slickwrite.com) in our class.
- Write a paragraph telling us whether we should use Kids InfoBits ( http://go.galegroup.com/ps/start.do?p=ITKE&u=nysl_ca_dmvacces&authCount=1 ) for our class.
- Write a paragraph telling us whether we should use CommonLit (https://www.commonlit.org/) for our class? (Justify your decision with fact-based reasons).
- Write a paragraph telling us whether we should use the Opposing Viewpoints ( http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fgalesupport.com%2FnovelGeo%2FnovelGeoLink.php%3Floc%3Dnysl_ca_dmvacces%26db%3DOVIC&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGD0TE5J-j668O64Ox9oIaxA3Ln6w ) for our class.